14 May 2008

snobbery

i'm a snob.

this isn't the first time i've self-declared my snobbery. and it probably won't be the last either. i've realized that i'm very particular about certain things and the way those things are done. (lately pertaining to a wedding...) i'm not saying that my methods are far superior of others, just that i know what works in regards to some things and am confident in that knowledge.

i've been having an inner battle recently because i've realized the time and energy it takes to explain exactly what i want to someone could be better put to use by just doing it myself. while i am deeply appreciative of the help, i, being the snob that i am, would be less frustrated and less worried if i just did it myself.

this isn't a new thing for me, either. in high school and jr high, there are an abundance of group projects where you are forced to complete and assignment with 3-5 other people. most people love group work - it means less work for them because it is spread out among so many others. except me. i hate group work. for me, group projects meant i left part of my grade up to some one else. which wasn't ok with me. seeing as i held a good gpa (3.8 overall), i wasn't about to leave a large portion of my grade up to some lazy, selfish student who didn't do homework. no way. so more often than not, i would volunteer to do the group project myself. i knew it would be done correctly and on time. the time i would spend otherwise worrying about whether or not it was being done correctly, i spent on the project itself. and i always did well. i enjoyed the satisfaction of that 'A' at the top of the group sheet, as well as the voices of appreciation from the less grade-obsessive students in my group.

so its been something i've always had issues with. and i haven't had many problems with it, truth be told. its always worked out in my favor. until now. when i changed my ways and let the group project out of my hands.

i probably sound crazy, and i'll admit that i'm slightly obsessive compulsive, but lately i've just felt the stress that accompanies relying on others. people have different priorities and different time schedules. which is fine. i understand. but i have my priorities and my time schedule. and waiting on other people and compromising aren't my strong points.

so i reach the proverbial fork in the road. do i do things myself? or do i let others help me? do i step on toes to do exactly what i want? or do i settle on something i don't really like and spare feelings? hm... interesting dilemma. selfish vs appreciative... can i be both? can i appreciate the help, but be selfish about the result? good grief! i don't know what to do. i've begun to freak out about this. and i'm sure it will pass soon, but until it does, i'm stuck at the crossroads. i honestly don't know which is better. although the angel on my shoulder tells me feelings are more important. but i gotta say, i'm starting to lean towards the selfish devil looming on my shoulder. she's much more convincing at this point.

2 comments:

Codye Brynn said...

I know what you mean! I was in the same position but I have the problem of being too accepting of EVERYONE'S opinion and that is impossible. When I was planning my wedding I had 5 siblings all with their own opinion. It was soo fun! haha so good luck finding a happy healthy balance of selfish and appreciative. YOUR GETTING MARRIED!!!!!! I love it!! Cant wait for the big day for you! One day I'll maybe take that leap.. We will see I guess. Kinda scares me thats for sure!

Teresa said...

Crazy girl!! I know exactly what you are talking about and had to do everything for my wedding for the exact reasons you are speaking of. Do you want to know what happened to me? My body shut down from so much stress and so much going. On Valentine's Day, less than one month before our wedding I almost passed out while at the gym and just got weaker and weaker. I couldn't even walk, my dad had to carry me into the house. I didn't get out of bed for 2 days and then was extremely weak for another few days. Don't over do it. Decide what is REALLY, REALLY important (and no everything can't fit into this category) and do those few things and then let other trust individuals help you with the rest.