04 February 2008

whisper like the holy ghost

Brindy was baptized on Saturday morning. How exciting! It was great. Except for one thing -the lack of my voice.
Brindy called me earlier in the week and asked me to speak on the Holy Ghost at her baptism. I prepared a decent talk and prayed that I would be able to talk louder than a whisper. But apparently, my voice served as an object lesson. The Holy Ghost doesn't yell. It whispers. Just like me. So only the first few rows could hear what I said... but I guess that's alright. Brindy's the one that mattered.

It was a nice meeting though. There were so many people there. Family. Friends. Neighbors. The room was packed. People had to stand in the back - there was not enough room. Pretty cool to think that many people love Brindy, as well as my family. It was neat.

An hour after the baptism, President Hinckley's funeral and grave service were broadcast in the chapel. So we stayed and watched that. Great meeting. It was as nice as a funeral can be. There was laughter, tears and the Spirit was strong. It was really nice.

And this morning, the Church held a press conference, announcing the new First Presidency. President Thomas S. Monson was announced as the Prophet, with President Henry B. Eyring as First Counselor and President Dieter F. Uchtdorf as Second Counselor. I have to admit that I thought that President Uchtdorf was a very likely candidate and I was thrilled when I watched him walk in behind President Monson. I am very excited to see where this new Presidency will take the Church. I wonder what the focal points will be - President Hinckley was so focused on Temples and the Perpetual Education Fund. I wonder if they will continue in that direction, or if there are other important issues they will focus on. I'm excited to find out.

No comments: